I recently told you all about our Labor Days - 
yes, I mean days laboring,
 up in Colorado at our Mountain Home this past weekend.
  I thought you might like a tour of my favorite place on earth!
  Our second home isn't perfect, it isn't brand new, and it doesn't have all of the finishes, hardware or appliances that I might want, but to me there is something magical about the location and the view that never ceases to captivate my soul.
 I feel that I am truly blessed to even
 own a second home at all!   
Whenever we are there we all have such a peaceful and relaxing time as a family.  There are lots of laughs over the games that we play together and lots of puzzles that get assembled.  The TV rarely goes on unless we are all sitting down for a movie.  It is a hard place to leave!

 I shared this picture with you earlier in the week.  
The Great Room is where we spend most of our time. 
I love the open concept of this house. 
The Great Room, Kitchen and Dining Room all flow together.  The heart of the great room is this floor to ceiling River Rock fireplace with a stone mantle.
I've placed a few large vases and jars up by the Quatrefoil mirror.  We fight over who gets the chair on the right as it is the most comfortable. 
 I really would like to find and ottoman to go with it to put your feet up. 
When you walk in through the front door there are stairs leading to the Master Suite and a Library/Office to the right.  The Library has a chair/pull out bed that can sleep one.  There is a small bathroom that has a shower which makes it nice when you have a full house. 
I don't have a lot of accessories or extra furniture in this home.  It's funny because my home here in Kansas is overflowing!  It just seems that we are always too busy just having fun to spend a lot of time decorating. 
 And to be honest the simplicity is refreshing to me.
Here is a look at the whole Great Room.  You can see that there is an overabundance of light wood in the house.  Besides the floors, all of the doors and trim work is light wood also.  At first I didn't care for it AT all.  But after a while I got used to it and last year we had the floors redone (we had a little water damage) and they actually look really beautiful and not as yellow as they used to be.
  The two large windows overlooking the trees provide a spectacular view of the mountains.  We have two sets of french doors that lead out onto small decks.

 Here is one of my cute new benches that Mr. Beaux and I refinished last weekend.  Look Here to see how I made my own chalk paint out of desperation.
And here is the other one flanking the left side of the fireplace.  A basket of throw blankets is very necessary up here to snuggle up and keep the chill out. 
There is a small area under all of the arches that holds a card table and a built in bookcase.  We took out the built-ins that were on the media wall last year.  We bought a new flat screen and the old cabinet was not made for that size.  Besides it was kind of 80's and not my style. 
Mr. Beaux and I hauled this cabinet up one weekend and put it together ourselves.  I love the slate insets on the cabinet.  I don't mind mixing different kinds of woods together in the same room.  I feel like it gives it an acquired instead of bought to match look.
Here is the new print that I found at Habitat for Humanity Restore.  It looks great with my checked chair in a soft green color.  I just found this spectacular set of three mounted antler horns on OKL that I ordered.  I can't wait to get them and hang them over this print. 

Aren't they cute? 
On top of the Media Cabinet I have a wood box that I filled with fall flowers.  This is actually a fall wreath that I cut apart and placed in the box.  Hey, you have to get creative with what you can find up here.  Antlers and a pretty landscape print rest upon the top.  Since we have been renting out the house some of my things have been broken.  Now, I try to keep it simple and keep the breakable things put away or out of reach.
From the other side of the room you can see the kitchen and dining room.  It really is a great big open concept!  When we first bought the house I waited until my local design center was having their annual 50/20 sale (that means my usual 50% designer discount PLUS another 20% off) and bought all of the furniture.  I selected everything that I wanted to buy and had the girls keep a sharp eye out for other people trying to buy things on my Wish List.  I wanted to buy very durable furniture like this leather sectional that will last forever.
This little niche with the game table and chairs is the perfect place for our Skip-Bo and Uno challenges.  It gets pretty cut throat with the kids and don't get me started on how competitive their Nana is!  One problem we were having was that the chairs were scratching up the wall quite a bit.
 You can see in this photo how scratched it is.  Mr. Beaux came to the rescue and put up some chair rail.  Brilliant idea!
You can see a hint of a Brick Red accent wall on the left.  This is the only place where I have changed the colors in the room.
I love the warm red against all of the wood tones.  We have also painted this color in our Library. It's called Bold Brick Sherwin Williams SW6327.
This chest is one of my favorite pieces of furniture.  The leaves are handles and wind all down the front.  It's a very unique piece.  
C'mon into the Kitchen and Dining Room.  We bought the house from a good friend of ours about eight years ago.  They were building a newer home in Breckenridge.  We had been fortunate enough to use the home a few times and had fallen in love with the area and the house.  When they offered to sell it to us we jumped at the chance.  They were so sweet to leave a lot of things in the home for us.  All of the dishes and most of the beds and mattresses and this dining room table and chairs.  This isn't my favorite dining set, but it seats a lot of people and it was so nice not to have to furnish the whole house.
Mr. Beaux bought the antler chandy for me for Christmas one year.  It's hanging high I know, that's so renters won't swing from it after too many drinks!    There is a nice sized stainless steel fridge and a smaller drink fridge that we fill up with water!  You have to drink a LOT of water in the high altitude.
The Kitchen is easy to maintain with Corian counter tops and a great professional Thermador cook top.  The double oven, microwave and dishwasher are next on the list to be replaced as the home is about 15 years old now. 
So there it is!  
My second home in the Colorado. 
 My dream is to live here full time some day. 
 Or, to build another home nearby
 and keep renting this one out.  
I hope you enjoyed the tour.  
Next time I'll show you around the Master Suite Loft and the Lower Level.

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves
XO Cindy 

Susan at Between Naps on the Porchfor Metamorphosis Monday
  I'm linking to Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays 
 Judy at DIY by Design

    Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
 Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday 

Poutpourri Friday at 2805
 Cindy at My Romantic Homefor Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top